“Arthur – a musical Teddy Bear for improving cognizance and engagement”.
Comforting and engaging, ‘Arthur’, combines the profound benefits of targeted music with sensory and tactile feedback, with the engagement of something to be cherished and cared for.
The care and interaction with a comforting soft toy provides a path to unlocking strong maternal instincts or feelings of security, providing both activity and self worth, whilst the music increases awareness and interaction.
Doll therapy: A large section of the community with cognizant challenges lack daily engagement. Some caregivers try to ease the burden of distress and anxiety by introducing dolls or soft toys to love and care for. The dolls can become an integral part of their life and caring for the doll can range from simple engagement to a major part of their day to day responsibilities. Doll or ‘cuddle’ therapy, may bring back happy memories of early parenthood and helps feeling useful and needed.
- The most important thing is for Arthur to have the right tunes for the person with the cognitive challenges. These tend to be songs that have special meaning from their younger, often teenage, years. He has a very large memory (4GB) which can typically hold 1500-2000 tunes, but this is far more than most people need.
- Arthur’s left hand paw has a switch inside it – the “paws button”. Give it a squeeze and you will feel a small click. This will start or stop the music, and is the only the control you will normally use on a day-to-day basis. The music is programmed to play in a random order
- ‘Arthur’ is Light Brown/Beige, weighs 1kg, and 38cm (Ear to Toe), 36cm (Paw to Paw), 13cm (Tum to Tail)
- Arthur has very tactile fur made from ‘terry cloth’. This is soft cotton based material, and has proven to be the favourite texture. Also to be extra safe, Arthur’s eyes are embroidered, not buttons.
To make Arthur that bit more cosy, he’s put some extra weight on around his hips so he can sit more comfortably and feel like a bear of substance.
- Batteries not included – he needs 4 x AA alkaline batteries
Music: Playing music to people with dementia or similar challenges from their formative years vastly improves their cognizance and lucidity – the effects are dramatic and are widely recognised.
If you are interested in this innovative product, please contact us for more details.